Dr. Dieter Zetsche has been a member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG since December 16, 1998, and Chairman of the Board of Management of Daimler AG since January 1, 2006. He is also Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars Division.
Dr. Zetsche was born in Istanbul, Turkey, on May 5, 1953. After attending school in Frankfurt and obtaining the Abitur (university entrance examination), he studied electrical engineering from 1971 to 1976 at the University of Karlsruhe and graduated as an engineer. He joined the research department of the then Daimler-Benz AG in 1976. Dr. Zetsche completed a doctorate in engineering in 1982 at the University of Paderborn.
Previous positions in the company:
- Member of the Board of Management, Mercedes Car Group, DaimlerChrysler AG, 2005
- Member of the Board of Management, CEO and President of the Chrysler Group, 2000
- Member of the Board of Management, Commercial Vehicle Division, DaimlerChrysler AG, 1999
- Member of the Board of Management, Sales Division, Mercedes-Benz AG, 1995
- Deputy member of the Mercedes-Benz AG Board of Management, Chief Engineer, Development Division in the Passenger Cars Business Unit, 1992
- President of Freightliner Corp., Portland, Oregon, 1991
- President of Mercedes-Benz Argentina, 1989
- Member of Management of Mercedes-Benz do Brazil, 1988
- Head of the Development Department and Chief Engineer of Mercedes-Benz do Brazil, 1987
- Responsibility for the Development of the Cross-Country Vehicle Unit, Daimler-Benz AG, 1986
- Research Division, Daimler-Benz AG, 1976